The Grape’s Famous Mushroom Soup
1. In a heavy bottomed 6-8qt stock or soup pot, melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the onion, garlic, bay leaf and thyme, and cook until translucent. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until most of the water comes out of them. Add the sherry, if you like, and reduce by 1/2. Add the flour and stir well to avoid lumps (if you do get some, it’s okay- they can be pureed out later).
2. Slowly whisk in the broth or stock and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. You must continue to stir the soup at this point, or the bottom may scorch.
3. When the soup comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally.
4. Finish by adding the heavy cream and nutmeg, and add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Remove the thyme and bay leaf, and puree the soup either in a blender, or with a hand held blender.
6. This recipe may easily be cut in half, but it is worth making the whole batch because it freezes so well.
2½ lbs. button mushrooms, washed and chopped
1 large onion, small dice
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1 dry bay leaf
1 sprig fresh thyme
¼ cup dry sherry (optional)
½ lb. unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 cup all purpose flour
3 qt. beef broth or stock, or equivalent
2 cups heavy cream
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste