Caldo de Rez
6 pieces of beef rib, trimmed, cut 4″ x 1½”
1 lb. of rib roast, cut into 1″ cubes
1 tablespoon of beef base
1 cup of chicken stock2 yellow squash, sliced into ¼” pieces
2 carrots, sliced into 1″ pieces
6 small red potatoes, whole
2 large yellow corn, cut into 6 pieces
½ head of green cabbage, sliced thin
2 jalapeño peppers, diced
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon of black pepper
2 gallons of water
¼ cup of garlic
2 small bay leaves
½ cup of chopped cilantro
½ cup of chopped yellow onion
½ cup long green pepper, chopped
½ cup ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 green squash, sliced into ¼” pieces
1. Pre-Heat roasting pan, add 1. trimmed ribs and roast to sear. Drain excess oil from pan. In remaining oil add salt, pepper, bay leaf and garlic to taste. Add onion, long green pepper and tomatoes and sauté until onions are lucent.
2. Add beef base and chicken stocks to mixture then add 1 gallon of water and boil for 1 hour or until meat is soft then simmer.
3. Working in batches, pour one gallon of water into a 2 gallon stock pot and heat to boil add red potatoes, corn and carrots and cook for 30 minutes. Then add yellow and green squash boil for 20 more minutes then simmer until the hard vegetables are soft (about 5 more minutes). Combine meats and vegetables in stock pot and simmer for 20 minutes.
4. To serve, spoon the vegetables and meat equally into deep soup bowls. Using a ladle pour broth onto mixture and sprinkle cilantro and the thinly sliced cabbage onto the bowls.
5. This caldo should be served with a small bowl of Spanish rice, garnished with extra cilantro and lime wedges (and diced jalapeño for heat).